We already picked on Cali in our article 75 Reasons Why California Sucks. I didn’t want to seem too biased so let’s make sure we have another article giving 50 reasons why New York sucks as well, shall we?
Get settled in. We’re going to be here for awhile.
50 Reasons Why New York Sucks
1. New York is the second worst state for business in the entire country, behind only California.
2. New York is one of the highest taxed states.
3. It has the second highest debt of all states in the country. The average amount of debt for every man, woman and child in the state is $3,116, three times the median for all states
4. NY has the fifth highest gas tax in the country.
5. New York is the third worst state to get caught speeding in.
6. NY has one of the worst under-employment rates in the country.
7. Her children generally (and most recently) scored “significantly under the national average” on The Nations Report Card.
8. This state spends the most on welfare of any state in the country.
9. New York is the third highest cost of living state.
11. Concentrated pollution in New York City leads to high incidence of asthma and other respiratory conditions among the cities residents.
12. According to the most recent Environmental Protection Agency National-Scale Air Toxics Assessment study, residents of New York County, NY (Manhattan), have the third highest cancer risk caused by airborne chemicals of all counties in the United States
13. In September 2012, Travel+Leisure named New York City the #1 “America’s Dirtiest City”
14. A 2014 paper estimated the rat population of New York City proper to be about 2 million, or one for every four people.
15. New York practically is always in the Top 3 of rudest cities nationwide, frequently being #1.
16. No pets are allowed in NYC except cockroaches or rats.
17. New Yorkers worship excess; especially stupid indulgence such as excessive alcohol consumption and keeping up with the Joneses.
18. New York is one of the worst “Judicial Hellholes” based on the ATRA ratings.
19. The state has banned “assault weapons” and has developed a ridiculous definition for what an “assault weapon” even is.
20. A non-resident may be arrested by police for transporting weapons through NYC and then be forced to reference the federal Firearm Owners Protection Act as an affirmative defense to charges of Unlawful Possession of a Weapon.
21. NY is a may-issue state. So, terrible.
22. The lovely state has the second highest homelessness rate in the country.
23. New Yorkers pay nearly 50% more for electricity than the average for all US states.
24. The traffic in New York is in the Top 5 worst of all US cities. It takes a half hour to get a block down the street in a car.
25. Weird and edgy political correctness.
26. Frivolous spending by corrupt government bureaucrats.
27. 15% of their entire budget goes to outdated pension programs.
28. Drive in any direction away from NYC in New York and the only thing you will find are rednecks and college towns.
29. New York is in the top 10 lowest ranking for education attainment, including high school graduate or higher.
30. The deviation between the rich and the poor is huge in New York. Educational attainment shows this: they have a ridiculously high amount of people with advanced degrees compared to the average, yet they are also one of the lowest for ‘high school graduate or above’. So either residents have no education, or significant amounts of education – crafting the perfect opportunity-inequality state.
31. NY is one of the most gang-infested states in the US due to NYC.
32. It is cold AF.
33. More people are leaving New York than any other state. “Between July 2017 and July 2018, the Empire State lost 180,306 people and gained only 131,746 new residents. A difference of 48,560 abandoned New York — the biggest decrease of any state in the US.”
34. The noise level in the city is insanely horrible. It is also absolutely filthy in certain areas (NYC… I’m looking at you).
35. You likely cannot afford a car.
36. Since you can’t afford a car in #35, you have to ride a shitty train with local crackheads for 3 hours a day.
37. Speaking of drugs, deaths from drug overdoses and chronic drug abuse in New York have increased 71 percent between 2010 and 2015. The death rate from drugs in New York was 9.1 per every 100,000 people in 2010. In 2015, the rate was 15.2 per every 100,000 people.
38. NY is in the top 10 for crack and cocaine use.
40. The Bronx is known for unusual weather as it frequently rains bullets.
41. Urban sprawl and population overcrowding.
42. Most cities in Upstate and West New York are all industrial towns that are practically still in the great depression. Never heard of Upstate or West New York? Don’t worry, neither has anybody else.
43. NY is practically a sanctuary state. There are numerous cities that are “sanctuary cities” and even New York will not cooperate with federal immigration officials. NY residents foot the bill for these illegal aliens.
44. The “modern” architecture sucks and looks like gulags.
46. New York has one of the highest costs to buy a house of any state.
47. The only thing you can get for free in New York is AIDS. The state has a super high STD rate, including Top 10 in Chlamydia and Syphilis.
48. NY is very far left leaning. So, socialism.
49. New York was rated the worst state in the US for gun owners (not including Washington DC).
50. NYC has the highest amount of total Americans burdened by housing costs. Have fun paying $5000 a month rent for a cardboard box with a few stripes on it outside of a pizza shop.
51. The fact that New York borders a state that could potentially be even worse: New Jersey.
New York Is Terrible
Damn, what a beautiful list. There you have it, the full 50 reasons why New York sucks.
Make sure to show it to your New Yorker friend the next time they won’t shut up about how great New York is!
Got more reasons? Leave them in the comments so I can add them!
If you enjoyed this article, give us a bookmark and check back often for new content. New articles every weekday.
Help us fight the censorship – Share this article!
Finally, please consider supporting my work. Every donation is immensely helpful to keep us growing.