2020 update: Direct links have been removed as I have left the Amazon program. However, I still recommend the Wyze home security camera. Get it on their own website.
2022 update: I still use the Wyze cam. Both an original and a new one. They are still pretty good, but the notifications are not great. They only work sometimes. If this is important, consider a more expensive brand that has better reviews in that category.
Getting burglarized is one of the biggest annoyances I have ever gone through.
If it isn’t a bad enough situation that there was some stranger(s) wandering through your own home and taking all of your most important stuff, you also get to deal with the lovely insurance agencies afterwards.
I’m young, so I’m a renter. So I had my own rental insurance policy, which ended up fully covering me (I am immensely thankful for that). Which also takes what feels like centuries to get the payout.
And they, along with the police, interrogate you every step of the way.
Which I get. Would be easy to get a lot of cash by just pretending you got burglarized. But for people that actually did have their place broken into, it makes it a giant hassle.
What do you do while you wait for the payout? Hopefully, you have savings to replace everything upfront. If not, well, do what I did and sit on the floor because everything else is gone.
And then you have to consider the fact sleeping in your place after someone breaks in is somewhat… unnerving. I kept my gun a lot closer during those first few days.
I had never really even considered it a possibility until it actually happened to me. After that, I knew I wanted to try to keep everything under lock as much as possible.
So, for the price conscious (that can’t afford a security system) the best option is a cheap little security camera.
One that records videos, is easily concealable, and has the ability to sense movement is imperative. This serves many benefits against the problems I had:
- It’s evidence. The insurance and police will be able to get hold of this video and thus you get to avoid the “interrogation” and investigation aspect of it. When you have video proof, it’s much more obvious someone stole your stuff.
- Typically, these cameras have 2 way voice. So if someone breaks in and you have a camera that has the motion detection, you will get notified and can yell “police are on the way”. Startle the bastards, and hopefully they won’t be able to take as much stuff. Many videos of this exact situation are on YouTube. Remember, burglary is a crime of opportunity. If the risk gets higher, the burglars typically take off. Which means less replacing for you, and less needing to get insurance involved in the high price range.
- It gives peace of mind. I went home and seen the door ajar. I knew right then what happened. Instantly freaked out. Now, I don’t have to worry about that because I can check the recording on my phone at any time when I’m traveling/away from home. It’s an easy way to not have to constantly worry about it anymore, if it has happened to you.
Now you can go spend $100’s on a security camera. But… why?
I use Wyze. It’s pretty great, and ridiculously affordable.
Just check out these specs:
- 1080p full HD live stream direct to your smartphone. Works with 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks.
- Motion Tagging technology detects and outlines motion in both live stream and playback video modes. Power Cable Length-6 feet.
- Night vision up to 30 feet away even in total darkness. Data Usage: 1-2MB per minute in SD, or 4-7MB per minute in HD.
- Motion and sound detection with free rolling 14-day cloud storage. Use the Wyze App (iOS and Android) to manage and share multiple cameras.
- Magnetic base and included adhesive metal plate let you mount your WyzeCam anywhere, no screws required.
WyzeCam delivers fast, clear, live stream footage direct to your smartphone via the Wyze App (iOS and Android), day or night. With motion and sound detection you can receive an alert anytime your WyzeCam detects sound and motion, and view up to 14 days of saved alert videos for free – no monthly fees or subscription required. Plus, you can add a microSD card (sold separately) to enable continuous recording and schedule custom time lapse videos, and use 2-way audio to talk and listen through your WyzeCam. Use the Wyze App to manage and view multiple cameras, share your cameras with other users, view alert videos, and record and share photos and videos directly from the app. With its small size, magnetic base, and flexible 3-axis design, the WyzeCam can go anywhere you need it.
It does everything the cameras that cost $200+ do, but at a much easier to handle price. Have had this little guy around for over a year now.
Works perfect for me. I don’t have ultra high security needs, I just like it running when I’m not home for extended periods of time. And it always worked flawlessly. Particularly, I like the motion-detection aspect of it. I tested it out by walking out the door, letting it lock/run, and then walking in. Notifications on the iPhone work great, can’t speak for the Android but the reviews are all positive so I can’t imagine any issues there.
Thankfully, I haven’t had to use the two-way voice, but I did test it out and it is plenty loud enough to scare someone off.
Well worth the small investment for the peace of mind.
Any questions about it, feel free to drop them in the comments. I’m no expert but I have researched home security cameras extensively and used Wyze for a long time, so I know my way around it.
And while we’re chatting security, consider upping your computer security as well. My article on google alternatives is a good place to start.