I updated the structure of the website based on some feedback/data from ya’ll. Wanted to make a quick post to let everyone know about the changes.
Or if you don’t care about the structure and are just interested in some data about the website, here it is:
1) From now on the “Survival” category is called “Practical”, so it better suits a lot of the more everyday articles I post there. The content is identical, for now, but I’ll be diving into more topics. “Survival” also has a quasi-conspiracy ring to it, so many people in the survey were off-put by it.
2) “Philosophy” has been removed in favor of “Privacy” category. Philosophy articles were largely under-performers, and my privacy articles have always been my top performing ones. It’s seems obvious: the site is called Hidden Dominion, after all. Philosophy articles have not been deleted. They were transferred to “Society”.
3) I removed the sub-categories under “Society”. On average, I would receive 50 clicks on one of the “top level” categories compared to 1 click on the sub-categories. I’m not a fan of the 50:1 ratio, so they are combined now.
4) 80% of my survey respondents (n = 95) said they would be more likely to click on my Support The Hidden Dominion page if it wasn’t titled “Donate” but “Support”. So, the title has been changed.
5) The majority of respondents (52) said my “about page” was ‘impersonal’. That’s not what I’m going for with this website, so I have changed it. I will do this test again in a few months to see if it is any better now!
6) I updated the form of the weekly newsletter (listed in sidebar) two weeks ago to be the same design each week. Since doing this, my open and click rate have both increased ~30%. Whether this is because of the design change or not, I am not yet sure. But will be keeping my eye on it!
7) I got rid of the extra requirements for the newsletter signup (name, etc) and changed the design of the exit pop-up. Since doing this, my subscriber count has increased an extra 1-3 every week.
That’s all of them for now. Will do another round of testing in 3-6 months and see what I can do to make HD even better then!